We strive to provide you with authoritative, trustworthy, and expert advice. In doing so, the staff at texaswalkabout.com performs extensive research, editing, and fact checking to every post on this webiste. If you feel that this article can improve, please feel free to reach us at email@example.com
Is Austin, TX Humid or Dry Heat?
Austin has a humid subtropical climate.
The humidity is caused by the southeast winds from the gulf. This makes it feel hotter outside than it actually is. Our bodies cool off by evaporating sweat off our skin, but when you are in a humid region the evaporation isn’t as effective with moisture in the air.
Austin Humidity by Month
The humidity in Austin stays almost above 60% year round.
Refer to the list below to determine the humidity each month in Austin, TX:
- The average humidity percentage in January is 66%.
- The average humidity percentage in February is 70%.
- The average humidity percentage in March is 73%.
- The average humidity percentage in April is 72%.
- The average humidity percentage in May is 75%.
- The average humidity percentage in June is 71%.
- The average humidity percentage in July is 65%.
- The average humidity percentage in August is 59%.
- The average humidity percentage in September is 68%.
- The average humidity percentage in October is 67%.
- The average humidity percentage in November is 70%.
- The average humidity percentage in December is 70%.
Is Austin Humid in Summer Months?
The humidity levels in Austin during summer months would be best described as sauna-like.
During summer, the temperatures usually top out around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The humidity rarely gets below 30% in the summers.
Months Where Austin is the Most Dry or Humid
Austin is most humid during May, and least humid during March.
On average, the most humid month in Austin is May with an average percentage of 71%. The driest month in Austin is March with an average humidity percentage of 67%.
Is Austin or Dallas Hotter?
Dallas is just slightly hotter than Austin.
Really, there’s not a big enough difference to be noticeable between the two cities. They range in similar heat indexes with the average temperature of Dallas being 92.4 degrees, and Austin’s being 92.2 degrees.
Is Austin or Houston Hotter?
Houston feels hotter due to its proximity to the Gulf.
While Austin still feels hot, Houston’s proximity to the Gulf of Mexico makes their heat feel so much hotter. Austin’s inland location makes it considerably less humid than Houston. Houston gets about 15 inches more of rain each year as well.
Cities in Texas that are the Most Humid
Texas is known for its hot summers, so let’s see which cities also deal with the highest humidity.
The cities in Texas with the highest humidity levels are:
- Brownsville comes in at 90% humidity.
- Port Arthur also sits at 90% humidity.
- Victoria is another city with 90% humidity.
- Corpus Christi has 89% humidity.
- Houston also has 89% humidity.
Cities in Texas that are the Most Dry
The weather doesn’t have to feel like a sauna. Check out the following cities for the lowest humidity in Texas.
- San Antonio, TX
- Dallas, TX
- Austin, TX
Texas is a hot state. It’s going to feel humid in comparison to most places.
Overall, Texas is pretty humid. However, humidity becomes more concentrated as you move towards the coast.